Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

Feel the Burn

I don't know if I've talked about it on here before but my gym offers what they call "Burn" classes. They are small group training sessions lead by a trainer, and they typically consist of treadmill intervals and strength training. They're usually "drop-in" style, so you just sign-up for one class at a time. They're a great way to mix-up your workout routine and they give an extra boost



Recently, my gym announced that they were going to run a "Burn Challenge" during the holiday season. You sign-up for a 6-week Burn session, and they track each participants results. The participant with the greatest percent of change and most visits during the six weeks wins a free small group training session!

The free session instantly intrigued me, and I knew it would be great motivation through out the challenge. As a runner, I'm definitely competitive, and with the holidays around the corner, I know I need something that will make me say "no" to the extra helpings of Thanksgiving treats.

The other problem with the holiday season is that schedules fill-up early and quickly. So initially, I couldn't make a commitment to any of the session. I was bummed. Then they added a Monday morning class...

So now for the next six weeks, I will be feeling the burn Monday mornings at 6am!

The first session was this morning, and my trainer Tara took down our BMI, body fat %, and our weight. We also held a plank for as long as we could and did a half mile sprint. I held my plank for just a little over a minute (My core is so weak!), I did the sprint in 3:10 (whoooo!), and I won't share the rest because my weight really doesn't need to be on the internet.

I think it will be so helpful to have tangible numbers to beat. Plus our trainer is competitive too, and she told us that she wants her group to be the best, so I'm looking forward to that extra motivation!


No comments:

Post a Comment