Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Love for the BAA

Registration for the Boston Marathon opened yesterday. Runner's World reported that the BAA received 2,300 applicants in the first 24-hours! Mind you, with the rolling applicant system, these are people who have beat the qualifying time for their age groups by 20+ minutes! Holy cow!

I actually spend an evening with the BAA (and like 50 others) at a training clinic for their upcoming half marathon. They reviewed the course, a BAA trainer spoke about preparing, and then they did Q&A.

After seeing their plans last time, I was relieved to hear that they only expected 1 or 2 people in the room to follow their Advanced plan. It was geared for more of the individual who was gunning for some prize money. Definitely not me!

Another treat? The president of the BAA spoke. I thought he was awesome! Well spoken and funny, and yet humble and appreciative of all the runners' support.

I think the biggest takeaway for me last night is that the course is HILLY! I've run it before, but back then I lived in a hillier area. Now my runs often happen along the esplanade, which is quite flat. With a month remaining, I will be getting in some hill work!

No comments:

Post a Comment