Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A New Run Club

Last night, my gym's Summer Running Club started. I have to admit, I was so nervous to join in! What if I was slower than everyone? What if I was faster than everyone and got lost? What if I have no one to talk to? I really panic in social situations, but I had signed up, and I knew the group would be waiting, so I followed through on my commitment.

I got to the lobby and signed-in. There were a couple girls who were there together, chatting away. And a few standing quietly in the corner. I went to the corner and stood in silence. About then I ran into an old co-worker, and we chatted for about 5 minutes, which was a good warm-up. It helped ease some of my nerves and I tried to talk to the 3 other women in the corner. One bit and she and I chatted until it was time to leave.

We did a warm-up to the esplanade, and I heard one of the girls talking about training for the Marine Corps Marathon, which I did 2 years ago. I tried chatting to her about it, but she didn't seem interested. Yikes! I guess that's why you're not supposed to listen in on other's conversations. Oops!

When we got to the esplanade the trainer led us through some stretches and told us our route. Off we went. It was an easy route that I'd run before, so I was thankful that even if I wound up apart from the group that I'd be fine. The esplanade was crowded, so I attributed the group's slow speed to the crowd. The women I was behind kept at the same pace even when the crowd thinned. I was a little worried because the pace was uncomfortable for me. They were chatting away with one another, but my legs were itching to go faster.


About a minute into my internal debate, I saw my new friend weave around the leaders and break out at her own pace. She inspired me to follow, and I was pleased to find we ran at about the same pace! We chatted as we headed up the pack, but we were also both comfortable to stay quiet at times. She ended up being a great running buddy for the night!

I'll probably try to go again, as it was a nice little work out for a Monday night. I might even get brave enough to venture out with another Boston running group!

Have you ever gone alone to an activity? Were you nervous?


No comments:

Post a Comment