Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Semi Silly Weekend

When I told friends and family that I was doing two races this weekend, they basically thought I was nuts. Luckily, I have two friends who are just as crazy. Love you Jane and Erin!

Rewind a few months ago to when Jane and I were already registered for the BAA 10k as part of the BAA's distance medley. Erin told us about the Mill Pond 5k in Plymouth, a course she and I had already run as part of a pub run. After talking it out, we decided to do both races. As this was like a mini Goofy Challenge, we named this our semi-silly weekend.

I told myself that I wouldn't race either. I knew the 5k course was going to be hilly, and I would want to keep my legs fresh for the 10k the next day. Of course, when you get to race day, this is easier said than done. As the other runners took off, I speed up to keep up. It was ridiculously humid and I felt it right away on the first hill. I kept pushing myself, and I enjoyed the scenic course. It definitely helped having run it beforehand. Since it had been rainy earlier in the morning, I decided to leave my ipod and my Garmin at home. It killed me because I had no clue what my splits were, but ultimately a nice break running gadget free.

I ended up finishing in 26 minutes and 20 seconds. Not super speedy by normal standards, but it was over a minute faster than my previous 5k. Whoop, whoop!

Fast forward to this morning for the 10k. Before even getting into the race environment, my legs felt good after the 5k, so I figured I could handle it. It was going to be a hot race, but after letting the heat get to me in last month's half marathon, I knew I couldn't let it get me down again.

This is such a great race, as I love running by the Boston Common and through BU's campus. The course is out and back, so you get to see the elites run by as you're racing. I saw them fly by alarmingly early. It's crazy.

The race was pretty uneventful. The BAA handled the heat very well with water stops every miles and one at about 5.5. It was perfect.

I finished this race in 55:50. About a minute and a half slower than the Strawberry Shortcake race last month, but oh well. I knew I gave it my all, and I was proud of my time.



You know what was especially awesome? BOTH races emailed me my results just hours after the race! I am blown away by the direct contact and the quick delivery! Wow! Is this where race technology is going? Because I'm loving it!

No comments:

Post a Comment