Pages

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A Night with Bill Rogers

Last night I totally geeked out on running. The BAA sponsored a training clinic for participants of their 10k next month. They opened up their office and Bill Rogers spoke.



Between work and the clinic, I went to the gym to tackle another treadmill workout.


This workout was less successful than last week. I had some technical difficulties with the treadmill and had to switch, which killed my momentum. I had a super long warm up and I found the transitions on this particular workout a little harder to manage. I think it would have been easier to do 6mph recovery over 4.5mph.

When I had done about 2/3 of the workout, I accidentally hit the stop on the treadmill. Does this happen to anyone else? I feel like I hit it all the time, and it's so annoying. I was frustrated so I walked for like 5 minutes and then went to go foam roll. This gave me just enough time to head home to change into some less smelly workout clothes before heading out to the training clinic.

I had to look up where the training clinic was, and came to find out it was right next to my gym. Ooops! Luckily my apartment wasn't too far away, and besides, it felt really good to get into some clean clothes.

I arrived about 20 minutes before the presentation began, so I grabbed my materials and headed upstairs to the BAA Office. The place was filled with memorabilia. It's the BAA's 125th anniversary, so there was a lot of history in there!


Memories of the Inaugural 10K

Bibs from this years' winners


Katherine Switzer's Sweatshirt
John Kelley has his Own Case

Trophy with the Winners

In the back there was a Bill Rogers case, and the man was standing there chatting up people. He was super nice, but unfortunately it was time for him to head down before I had a chance to talk to him.

At the clinic, they went over a handout of training plan and gave different tips for running. Bill Rogers then got up and spoke. He was funny, interesting, and so down to earth. Even though he is practically super human, he truly spoke to runners of every ability.



Some of the things I took away:
- He had been running for 7 years before he did his first 10k. Of course the world of running was much different than it is today. He said he had no training plan or anything. 
- He dropped out of his first marathon. Again, he didn't have a training plan and claimed he didn't know what to do. And clearly he eventually figured this one out. He said you got to know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em
- He said that a runner needs support. Get a running buddy who runs your pace. He stressed how huge it was to have family or friends on the course. So true!

The BAA then had a panel of experts who answered questions. They fielded everything from questions about the water stations (one at every mile except 6, with gatorade at mile 4). They talked about how you should use your training to test what's right for you. They also talked about running outside, no matter the conditions, so that you would be prepared race day. We also heard interesting stories, like how one of them never sleeps well before a race, whether it was a Turkey Trot where 1st place got pie or the Olympics. (Another panelist seemed skeptical, comparing gold medal or... pie. I bet it was good pie)

The ended the clinic with a raffle. I didn't win, but I did enjoy the cute raffle tickets.

Not a winner but love it anyway

My stomach was growling most of the clinic, so I headed home for dinner. But the staff was really open to talking one-on-one with anyone who stayed. They were so friendly, and if I weren't so shy or such a fat kid, I probably would have stuck around for some more chatting. 

I'm going to try the training plan they gave us. I don't think I've ever done a 10k training plan, so I'm curious. One thing is for sure, I will be going to the next clinic!

No comments:

Post a Comment