Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Boot Camp

Apparently Jane and I were twins last weekend.

Before the BAA 5K

Marathon watching

Only one of these was planned. I promise. I also promise that I actually ran the BAA 5K even though MarathonFoto managed to get zero action shots of me at the event.



In other news, I am officially in love with my boot camp (which is no surprise as you already know I love sweat).

I think I've mentioned before that I adore my gym. In addition to having a welcoming environment and quality equipment, the gym offers great group classes and other programs.

During wedding prep, I started signing-up for small group training classes. These classes consist of anywhere from 4-8 women who work with a trainer to further their fitness goals. Different groups can have different focuses like boxing, yoga, or TRX. I wanted to focus on weight training for the wedding and needed the extra push, so I started doing the Boot Camp style workouts last October. I figured I'd just drop it after the wedding, and timing wise, the class I was in ended the week I was on my honeymoon.

Well, I got back from St. John to an enthusiastic email from the trainer asking if I was signing up for another session. The previous session was tiny (only 3 of us!), so we had all become friendly. I realized I missed the trainer and the other girls, and I was feeling sluggish from an indulgent vacation. So I registered again. After all, summer is just around the corner!

In addition to the social aspect, what mainly kept me going back was the results I got. On the honeymoon, I put on tiny bikinis without feeling self conscious. Considering that last June I went on a long hunt and splurged on a ruffled tankini that I could hide in during my friend's bachelorette. I honestly can't remember ever going to a pool of beach and not thinking about how I looked.

Beyond cosmetic changes, I know I am getting stronger. In October, lifting 8lbs weights was challenging. Yesterday, I used 12lbs and will probably move to 15lbs next week. I can run up 8 flights of stairs without feeling like death is around the corner. I can do 20 push-ups in a row on my toes and not on my knees. At the beginning of this session, we counted how many push-ups and squats we could do in a minute and timed how long we could hold a plank. At the end of the 6 weeks, we'll do these again and see our improvement. I'm so excited to have a concrete measurement to track my fitness. I'm anxious to see how I improve.

The major downside is the cost. You pay extra for these small group trainings, and on top of an already pricey membership, I probably can't continue much longer. It has definitely been a great experience while it has lasted, and I will keep you all posted on the final results!

No comments:

Post a Comment